The Vietnamese Government has just issued Decree No. 45/2022/ND-CP stipulating penalties for administrative violations in the field of environmental protection, effective from August 25, 2022.
Penalties for collecting and disposing of waste in contravention of regulations on environmental protection are as follows:
- A fine from VND 100,000 to VND 150,000 for dumping, disposing or discarding cigarette butts or heads at the wrong places in apartment, commercial, service or public places.
- A fine from VND 150,000 to VND 250,000 for acts of personal hygiene (urinating, defecating) at the wrong place in apartment, commercial, service or public places.
- A fine from VND 500,000 to VND 1,000,000 for the act of dumping, disposing, disposing of garbage, or dumping wastewater at the wrong place in an apartment, commercial, service or public place.
- A fine from VND 1,000,000 to VND 2,000,000 for throwing, disposing or disposing of garbage on sidewalks, roadways or into urban wastewater drainage systems; dumping wastewater in contravention of regulations on sidewalks and street beds; dispose of plastic waste generated from daily life into ponds, lakes, canals, rivers, streams, sea, etc.
Penalties for dropping materials on the street, you will be fined from 2 to 4 million VND are as follows:
- A fine from VND 2,000,000 to VND 4,000,000 for transporting raw materials and materials without covering or letting them fall into the environment while participating in traffic.
- A fine from VND 200,000,000 to VND 250,000,000 on the investor in the construction of urban areas and concentrated residential areas that commit the following violations on environmental protection: There is no separated rainwater and wastewater drainage network; there are no sanitation facilities in public places that meet the requirements for environmental protection; there is no synchronous wastewater collection and treatment system in accordance with the approved planning; there is no equipment, means and location for sorting at source, collecting and storing daily-life solid waste suitable to the amount and type of waste generated from households and individuals in concentrated residential areas; failing to ensure the area of trees, water surface, open space in urban areas, concentrated residential areas according to regulations, etc.
Penalties for failure to classify solid waste will be fined up to 1 million VND are as follows:
In addition, the Decree stipulates that households and individuals that do not classify domestic solid waste and do not use packaging containing domestic solid waste as prescribed may be fined from 500,000 to 1,000,000 VND.
The Decree also stipulates specific penalties for leaking or discharging toxic chemicals into the soil and water environment; violate the regulations on bringing waste into the territory of Vietnam; acts of obstructing state management activities, inspecting, examining and sanctioning administrative violations on environmental protection, etc.